Tools and News You Can Use: Resources to Support Your Grantmaking Practice During COVID-19 and Beyond
For more than a few years now, I have had the pleasure of fielding a wide variety of questions related to foundations, governance, and grantmaking practice. This has ranged from Board roles and responsibilities to grants management software, to foundation investment and compensation practices, and a whole lot more.
If you’re new to foundations, you’ll find answers to some of your most pressing questions. If you’ve been around a bit longer, you’ll find this is a one-stop grantmaker’s toolbox. I have highlighted some of the most recent resources and tools based on some frequently asked questions, and some less recent and perhaps unfamiliar resources to guide and inform your grantmaking practice during COVID-19 and beyond.
Governance, First things first.
Whether this is your first experience on a board or you’ve been serving in leadership for a while, it’s always a good idea to refresh your knowledge of your roles and responsibilities as a Board member and how you can effectively contribute to the mission of the organization.
- Guide to Good Governance is an overview of responsibilities, structures, and other common questions you may not have thought of, along with some useful templates.
- Governance and Grantmaking: Approaches to achieving greater diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Grantmaking, Tools of the trade.
If you are new to grantmaking and need a refresher on the grantmaking basics, read our Guide to Good Grantmaking. This guide is being updated in collaboration with Community Foundations of Canada and will feature promising practices related to DEI, mental health, and other issues brought to the forefront during the pandemic.
Other tools you can use:
- Gender-Lens Philanthropy: A practical guide for Canadian foundations;
- Learning in a Time of Crisis: 7 tips to help foundations focus on learning and evaluation the detailed guide and resource list;
- A Primer on Analyzing Financials of Charities and Nonprofits and webinar: Is this a Reg Flag? Understanding and analyzing charity financials; and
- A Primer for Working with Non-Qualified Donees and webinar: Rules for Working with Non-Qualified Donees.
A small sampling of webinars and resources on the lessons learned on the impact of COVID-19:
- 5 guiding principles to assist foundations in supporting their grantees;
- COVID-19, Social inequalities and foundations’ response tool and the resource list;
- COVID-19: The Global Response and Canadian Philanthropy webinar;
- A series of case studies on the Canadian philanthropic response to COVID-19 (PhiLab, UQAM);
- COVID Québec consortium’s philanthropic response blog;
- Closing the Gap: Seeking Funding Fairness for Black Communities webinar; and
- Foundations During COVID-19 Panel: Reflections on Session 5, the most recent research paper by Carleton University in collaboration with PFC and CFC. See all session reports here.
Visit our Webinar Wednesday page to view all 3 seasons on topics such as DEI, mental health, climate justice, and more topics to discover or revisit and read the accompanying blogs. Following each webinar, a PFC foundation leader is invited to share their thoughts on the webinar topic.
Management, What you need to know
Need sample job descriptions, grant, and agency agreements, impact investing policies, committee terms of reference, or a charity legal checklist, Board self-assessment tool, grants management software, and more? Members can contact us.
Regular news you can use
In case you missed it
Our many activities and events generate a wealth of useful information. Have you perused, for example:
- The 2020 annual conference Fast Forward: Harnessing the Power of Philanthropy to Build a Better Tomorrow with a compilation of all the presentations and resources.
Coming in 2021
- If you want to have an actionable plan for including DEI in your governance and grantmaking strategies, join us in the JEDI Accelerator starting this Fall 2021! More information here. Questions? Contact Ines Chaalala;
- Interested in investment and compensation practices in foundations? This research is available exclusively to PFC members and will be updated in 2021;
- Sector research on Canada’s top 150 grantmaking foundations and;
- The new Grantmaker’s Toolbox.
Let us know what you think
We are constantly working to develop tools and resources that support your governance and grantmaking. Share your ideas or send us your vote for one of the topics below at firstname.lastname@example.org and it may be featured as the next tool in our learning series!
- Guide to grants management software;
- Preparing for a CRA audit;
- Succession planning in family foundations;
- Develop a data strategy for your foundation.
@ PFC staffing updates
We have a new Coordinator, Member Services. Welcome to Neeki Motabar. Members can reach out to her anytime. She is keen to help you find what you need. We are also lucky to have with us for the summer, interns Katherine Chamandy, Alexander Gowriluk, Nicolina Kamany, and Kubilay Ogutcu.
As of June 1, I will be on a 3-day per week part-time schedule at PFC. You can continue to contact me anytime at email@example.com. Wishing all our members a well-deserved restful and sunny summer!