• Global Giving: New Guidance on International Activities, September 2010, PFC webinar featuring Mark Blumberg, Blumberg Segal LLP and Connie Wansbrough, Harbinger Foundation.
• Sample Contractor Agreement for a Canadian Registered Charity Carrying Out Foreign Activities, 2010, Charity Law Information Program. Covers a relatively straightforward contractor arrangement between a Canadian charity and its foreign contractor.
• Thinking Globally? Canadian Foundations and Trends in International Philanthropy, September 2007, by Esperanza Moreno, Deputy Director Canadian Council for International Co-operation (CCIC) and Betty Plewes, Former President/CEO (CCIC), published in The Philanthropist. Explores the nature and scale of the international activities of Canadian foundations, and looks briefly at how they compare with US and European foundations.
• Principles of Accountability for International Philanthropy, 2007, Council of Foundations and the European Foundation Centre. Educates, guides and helps grantmakers be more accountable and effective in their cross-border activities.
Natural disasters and humanitarian crises call on philanthropic resources every year. We have listed some useful advice and principles to help funders prepare for their role as grantmaker in times of disaster.
• Disaster Grantmaking: Connect, Collaborate, Consider, Communicate, The Association of Small Foundations. A two-page tear sheet providing a quick introduction and useful tools to help your foundation focus its response to disasters.
• Disaster Grantmaking: A Practical Guide for Foundations and Corporations, 2007, The U.S. Council on Foundations and the European Foundation Centre. Articulates and expands on the following 8 principles for disaster grantmaking:
Here are some useful links to sites where you can find information and practices related to humanitarian grantmaking: