Apply for Membership
How do I Join?
Once you have verified your eligibility, you may submit an application form.
The fully completed application form and other required documents should be sent to the Philanthropic Foundations Canada (PFC) office. See the information below to complete your application. Membership applications are reviewed promptly by a committee of the PFC Board. Decisions are communicated to applicants by PFC staff.
Your Membership Contribution
Philanthropic Foundations Canada operations are funded in large part by our members through their annual membership contributions calculated according to the size (assets or grants) of each member. PFC is a registered charity and a qualified donee. You can therefore include your member contribution to PFC in your annual disbursement quota.
Information Required with Application for Membership
You will need to complete, sign and send us the following:
a) Membership Application Form
b) Statement of Values and Ethical Principles
Additional information required by type of foundation/organization:
A. Private/Family Foundation
- Letter signed by appropriate officer stating objectives, funding interests, CRA charitable registration number and contact information
- Copy of latest publicly available T3010 (financial statements not required)
- Annual report (if available)
B. Public Foundation
All of the above in A plus:
- Proof that grant program is significant:
• direct grant program of at least $50,000 per year
• grantees must be multiple individuals or organizations
- Proof that the foundation is non-governmental
C. Emerging Foundation1
- Letter signed by appropriate officer stating objectives, funding interests, confirmation of CRA registration and contact information
- Budget information to support assertion that grantmaking program is being developed
- Statement attesting that organization plans to develop grantmaking program within 3 years and after which the foundation will fulfil additional membership requirements
- If a public or corporate foundation, proof that foundation is non-governmental.
D. Corporate Giving Program
- Copy of the grant guidelines and/or a letter outlining the goal(s) of the grant program of the corporation, including any limitations based on geography, subject matter of grants, or other factors
- Copy of the most recent annual report of the corporate giving program (if available) and a copy of the parent corporation’s annual report, including financial reports
- List of grants and contributions given during the most recently completed fiscal year
- List of subsidiaries, divisions, and affiliates to be included under the umbrella of membership.2
Are you interested in becoming a member? Do you have any questions? We would love to hear from you! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Already convinced you want to join? To apply for membership, complete our Membership Application Form and return it by fax to PFC at 514.866.5846.
1 A foundation that has been registered with CRA but is still in the first 3 years of its existence or may not yet have been funded/endowed.
2 To be included, grantmaking activities must be bound by the general giving guidelines of the parent company or parent company foundation.